Masorti’s Jewish Community Organising Course
Date: Beginning December 2021
“This course has been revelatory. It has completely changed my community. We went from no structure, no leadership, and no direction, to forming committees, electing chairs, running a listening campaign and resolving a number of new directions for the group…. By empowering me with knowledge and skills and sharing those with others it felt organic and home grown.” – Anna Sheinman, Ohel Mo’ed Community
Join the new cohort of Masorti’s community leaders.
Across monthly sessions, we’ll explore the principles of community organisation as well as the practical skills that have helped elevate and mobilise our growing network of Masorti organisers.
From getting your teeth into what it means to be a relational leader to gaining the tools to facilitate a well-run listening campaign, this course will skill you up, develop your ideas and provide an empowering space to grow as a community organiser.
The course will be facilitated by Rachel Sklan, our Deputy Chief Executive, who is an experienced trainer and coach in community leadership. She will be joined by specialist guest teachers for various units who will bring their unique experience and knowledge to the course.
Timings to be confirmed and are Covid-dependent.
Session One: Relational leadership
December 5th 2021, 9:30am – 12.30pm
- Course Overview
- Rapport and how to build it with anyone
- Relational versus transactional community
- Organising principles
- Filters of communication
Session Two: Mapping your community
January 9th 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Vision and purpose-led community
- Effective one-to-ones
- Who’s who? Who do you need?
- Logical levels of change
- Identifying the ‘issue’
Session Three: The power of groups
February 6th 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Power Analysis
- Identifying stakeholders
- Creating a plan
Session Four: Project, Plan and Action: different ways of organising
March 6th 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- How to run a listening campaign
- Identifying the issues
- Different models of planning and effective project
- Clear outcomes and how to build them
Session Five: Modelling excellence and leadership
April 3rd 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Identifying my own challenges as a leader
- Beliefs of excellence
- Modelling good behaviour
- Feedback- how to facilitate and how to give it
Session Six: Review and tweaking
May 1st 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Changing course: creating constant sense of evaluation and adaptability
- How to use modelling as a tool
- Understanding your best practice
Session Seven: Looking outside our community: an introduction to political thinking
June 12th 2022, 9.30am – 12.30pm
- A look at the work of Citizens UK
- How politics plays a role in communal life
- How engaged is your community in civil society?
- How do you start lighting the embers?
Session Eight: Endings
July 10th 2022, 9.30 am – 12.30pm
- Strategy going forward
- My learning
- My community goal